Tomo is a highly regarded trial and appellate advocate, who has advised and represented a broad range of clients in business critical litigation and regulatory investigations across a range of markets and industries. He is focused on working collaboratively with clients and solicitors to develop the most effective strategy to secure the best commercial and legal results while minimising legal, reputational and commercial risks. He has been recognised in the peer-reviewed guide, Best Lawyers in Australia in 2020 and 2021 for his expertise in Litigation.
Tomo’s practice includes the entire spectrum of commercial, corporate and consumer protection disputes that arise from domestic and international arrangements, transactions and projects that are commenced in either superior Courts or arbitration tribunals. In addition, Tomo has expertise in environmental law (contamination and climate change), economic torts and product liability. This unique mix offers clients singular expertise in multi-specialist litigation. Some examples are company liabilities for non-disclosure of climate change and other ESG risks; contractual risk allocation for pollution and product failures; private vs. public risk allocation for the impacts of climate change; tortious interference with contractual relations; and economic loss claims arising out of negligent misstatements in a commercial context.
Some recent cases:
- Contractual risk allocation of waste and environmental liabilities in relation to the $6 billion West Gate Tunnel Project.
- Misleading and deceptive conduct claim in relation to a $4 million sale of business: (2020) 147 ACSR 227
- Construction of statutory contract and declaratory and injunctive relief sought by company outsiders:  VSC 825
- Winding up of managed investment scheme and pooling orders: (2020) 148 ACSR 181
- Government liability for the effects of climate change on private land.
- $120 million arbitration dispute under ICC Rules on the construction of a mine.
- $50 million insurance recovery claim in relation to a defective product.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under the Professional Standards Legislation
- Banking & Finance
- Building & Construction
- Class Actions
- Commercial Arbitration
- Contractual Disputes
- Corporate Insolvency
- Corporations & Securities
- Energy & Resources
- Equity & Trusts
- Class Actions
- Major Torts
- Product Liability
- Professional Negligence
Bachelor of Laws
Bachelor of Arts
State and Territory Courts and Tribunals
Federal Court of Australia
High Court of Australia
APN Funds Management Limited v Australian Property Investment Strategic Pty Ltd  VSC 262
Wheelahan v City of Casey  VSC 655;  VSC 509
Re Strategic Energy Resources Limited  VSC 645;  VSC 75;  VSC 164
Re AXA Asia Pacific Holdings Ltd  VSC 4;  VSC 102
Duffy in the matter of Westgate Ports Limited  FCA608
Re Cytopia Ltd  VSC 560
Fowler v Lindholm  FCAFC 125
In the matter of Opes Prime Stockbroking Limited  FCA 813
Premier v Spotless Limited  VSC 377
Thiess Pty Ltd v ConnectEast Nominee Company Pty Ltd  VSC 287
Spotless v Premier  VSCA 20
Victorian Bar - Commercial Bar Association