Albert Ounapuu practises in general commercial law.
Before coming to the Bar, Albert was a Senior Associate at Arnold Bloch Leibler in commercial litigation. While at Arnold Bloch Leibler, he worked on class actions, regulatory investigations and prosecutions, and state and federal tax matters, in addition to general commercial litigation. He also has experience in professional negligence claims against solicitors and accountants, proceedings involving division of complex asset pools, company and partnership disputes and trade practices matters.
Prior to being made a Senior Associate, Albert was an Associate to the Honourable Justice Gordon (then of the Federal Court).
Albert is a monitor for the class actions section of the Commercial Bar Association.
Whilst completing his studies he was an editor of the Monash University Law Review and won a number of academic prizes.
He read with Nicholas De Young QC and his senior mentor was Hamish Austin QC.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under the Professional Standards Legislation
- Banking & Finance
- Building & Construction
- Class Actions
- Commercial Arbitration
- Consumer Law
- Contractual Disputes
- Corporate Insolvency
- Equity & Trusts
- Real Property
- Residential & Retail Tenancies
- Privacy & Data Protection
- Class Actions
- Commissions & Inquiries
- Professional Negligence
- Administrative Law
- Commissions & Inquiries
- Freedom of Information
- Judicial Review
- Planning & Local Government
Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
Bachelor of Arts
State and Territory Courts and Tribunals
Federal Court of Australia
High Court of Australia
- A series of proceedings concerning the sale of the Sushi Sushi business to private equity investors (Supreme Court, led by P Bick QC);
- A dispute concerning re-crediting of VET Fee-Help loans under the Higher Education Support Act 2003 (Cth) (Supreme Court, led by N De Young QC);
- An appeal concerning a long-running family trust dispute: Hoh v Ying Mui Pty Ltd  VSCA 203 (Court of Appeal, led by P Bick QC and C Truong QC);
- A partnership dispute arising from the sale of a credit scoring business (Supreme Court, led by N De Young);
- An application concerning confidentiality of documents in proceedings between alleged trade rivals: Fonterra Brands Australia Pty Ltd & Anor v Bega Cheese Ltd  VSC 471 (Supreme Court, led by C Button QC);
- A 12 day hearing in VCAT’s retail leasing jurisdiction concerning the failed redevelopment of a basement premises and associated issues (VCAT, lead by M Wise QC): Finetea Pty Ltd v Block Arcade Melbourne Pty Ltd (Building and Property)  VCAT 1529;
- Acting for a creditor of Centennial Mining in proceedings concerning a proposed DOCA (Federal Court, led by S Maiden QC): Gandel Metals Pty Ltd, in the matter of Centennial Mining Limited (Subject to Deed of Company Arrangement) v Centennial Mining Limited (Subject to Deed of Company Arrangement)  FCA 250;
- and, for that same creditor, successfully claiming a prior secured interest in a gold mine by operation of equitable subrogation (Federal Court, led by S Maiden QC): Gandel Metals Pty Ltd, in the matter of Centennial Mining Limited (Subject to Deed of Company Arrangement) v Centennial Mining Limited (No 2)  FCA 633;
- An application for approval of a compulsory acquisition of a minority shareholding under Pt 6A.2 of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth): Ijack Pty Ltd v Cobb, in the matter of Vealls Limited  FCA 1321 (Federal Court, led by R Craig QC);
- A shareholder dispute in relation to an anti-counterfeiting startup and associated initial coin offering seeking remedies under ss 233 and 461 of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) (Supreme Court, unled);
- Acting for the respondent to proceedings seeking rescission of a contract of sale under s 9AC of the Sale of Land Act1962 (Vic) (County Court, unled);
- Acting for a builder in proceedings alleging defective construction of a residential and commercial development (VCAT, unled);
- Various advices in relation to easements, subdivision, leases and licenses, the Retail Leases Act 2003 (Vic), the Building Act 1993 (Vic) and the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Vic);
- Acting for ASIC in respect of various matters arising from the Financial Services Royal Commission (led by J Peters QC and D Luxton), including in relation to a claim against Youi under the Insurance Contracts Act: Australian Securities and Investments Commission v Youi Pty Ltd  FCA 1701 (Federal Court, led by S Donaldson SC and D Luxton);
- Acting for and advising professionals and professional bodies (including the Legal Services Commissioner) in disciplinary matters;
- An appeal concerning the use of anonymously supplied information in the determination of a skilled visa application: Minister for Immigration and Border Protection v Gill  FCAFC 9 (Full Court, unled);
- An application to determine the VCAT’s jurisdiction as between two natural persons resident in different states in light of the High Court’s decision in Burns v Corbett (VCAT, unled);
- Aarious proceedings under, and advice in respect of, the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic) and Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) (VCAT, unled).